Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cheese Press...

Having had several requests about my 2-crutch cheese press, I am posting photos and sketchy instructions so you can build your own at home. I made it very quickly and should have kept better track of exactly how I did it, but I did not. I used 2 wooden crutches, making sure to cut them so that I could use the bolts and wingnuts and holes (see attached photos) The center bars are to keep the pressure bar straight. The base is made from scrap wood I had in my basement. When using the press, I put a small pan on the bottom to catch the dripping whey, I inverted the red bowl and made sure it was centered with the cheese and poked holes in the clear plastic container to let the whey drain. I figured out (approximately) how much pressure was exerted by putting a scale under the weight bar and weighing it with gallons of water. I think 2 full gallons of water applied about 50 lbs of pressure when placed at the end near the rubber part. I am hoping to be using it again in the next couple of weeks. Oh - forgot to say - be sure to add legs to the front to keep everything balanced when the weight is added (see photo with bowls...)

No comments: